Sunday, February 26, 2012

Nursery Pelmet Box

I had originally wanted to put curtains up in the nursery.  Actually, I wanted to buy this shower curtain, cut it in half length-wise, and turn it into curtains, a la this post. 
westelm.com

But the more I thought about it, I figured that as soon as Evangeline can pull herself up, I'd end up taking the curtains down for fear that she'd rip them down. Plus, I didn't like that they'd be hanging so close to the crib.  So I decided to do a pelmet box instead.  I followed this tutorial, and this inspired the look of a pelmet box without curtains.

I wanted to find a way to use the fabric from the "inspiration picture" for our nursery.  Here it is, in case you want to see it:


Unfortunately, the fabric is $50 per yard with a two yard minimum.  I only needed one yard max, so that wasn't going to work. Plus, it would still be way out of the budget.

I originally tried to make a stencil, and paint a white piece of fabric, but that was a major flop.  After some trial and error, I bought some taupe colored linen and white bias tape.  I assembled the pelmet box from foam core board, just like in the tutorial that Jenny did.  Then I stapled batting around it, and then stapled the linen fabric around that.  After all that, I used fabri-tac glue to glue on the bias tape in a diamond pattern.

Once it was finished, I had no idea how to hang it! I left it for Kemi to tackle when he got home, and he had to rig it a little, but this is what he came up with:


I am really happy with how it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment