Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Day in the Life of a One Week Old Baby

This is my Baby ESP app the first night home. Whew! That was a LONG night...



All the baby books and blogs couldn't have prepared me for what our first week with Evangeline would be like.  Here's a rundown of a typical day:

5:00 am     Evie wakes up crying, wanting to be fed.

6:00 am     We finish the feeding, but Evie isn't ready to be put down yet. She's staring at me, wide awake.

6:30 am     Evie finally starts to doze in my arms, and I put her in the bassinet.  I crash hard in our bed.

8:00 am     Evie starts to cry, ready to eat again.  We start another feeding.

8:45 am     Now done with nursing, I'm starving from nursing all night, so we head to the kitchen.  I put Evie down on the Boppy lounger and pour a bowl of cereal.

9:00 am     Evie starts to fuss, so I pick her up and rock her to sleep.  She falls asleep, so I set her back on the lounger. I start a load of dirty diaper laundry while Kemi hangs with Evie.

9:30 am     Evie's still asleep, so I go to the office to pump.  I'm trying to stockpile as much milk as possible for when I go back to work.

10:00 am   Done pumping, and Evie's still asleep. I'm hungry again from pumping, so I grab a quick snack.

10:30 am   Evie's awake, and wants to be fed.  We snuggle into the couch for a feeding.

11:30 am   Finally finished nursing. Evie's had a lot of gas pain recently, so nursing takes twice as long
because she stops eating frequently due to the gas pain.  Poor baby!  Evie hangs with Kemi while I get in the shower.

12:00 pm   Finally showered and in clean clothes. Hair's wet and in a bun, no makeup.  Makeup (and sometimes blow-dried hair if we're lucky) are now reserved only for church on Sunday.  These days, wearing deodorant and clean clothes is a big deal.  We sit down for lunch, and I'm starving.  Again.

1:00 pm     We have visitors come to see Evie and I awkwardly nurse under my hooter hider and pray no      
side-boob has decided to make itself visible.

3:00 pm     After everyone leaves we bring Evie into the nursery for some tummy time. This is one of our
favorite things lately.  We're amazed at how strong our girl is! She wears out after about 10 minutes:)

3:30 pm     Another feeding, diaper change, and pump again.

5:00 pm     We eat dinner, then head out for a walk.  I'm finding it necessary to leave the house each day,     even if just for a walk, to preserve some sanity.  I want to start to get back into some activity too.

6:00 pm     Back home, and back to pumping. The rest of the evening involves feeding Evie, and          changing dipes. Again and again and again!



No comments:

Post a Comment