Thursday, June 7, 2012

Surprising Things About the New-Mom Bod


While I was pregnant, I would find myself thinking about what things would be like, post-baby. More specifically, what I would be like, post-baby!  I wasn't concerned about the changes I was sure would be there, but more curious to see how it would go and if I would easily bounce back.  It's been seven weeks now since Evie was born, and there have definitely been some surprises.  

First, the post-baby belly.  I think in all the excitement of labor, and the anticipation of meeting my daughter, I sort of forgot that once she was delivered, my big, round, tight-as-a-drum pregnant belly would be gone.  I was actually surprised, and a little sad, the first time I caught sight of myself in the mirror after E. was born.  Looking at my stomach post-birth, I sort of missed my pregnant belly! What I was left with was definitely NOT the flat stomach I had pre-pregnancy. It was something sort of in-between...;/

source: things-we-heart.blogspot.com

That not-so-flat stomach wants to be fed.  Constantly.  Oh, the insatiable hunger. I was told by a few other moms that during breastfeeding, it's common to have a much bigger appetite than usual. I'd say. I can eat two 8 inch Jimmy John's subs in one sitting. That's not a joke, people.  It's insane. I can now eat my husband under the table.  The trick in eating more food than a linebacker is to eat healthy options, with lots of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein. Right. 

source: things-we-heart.blogspot.com

Let's talk about post-baby weight loss.  I gained a very average 25 pounds total during my pregnancy with Evie.  The first time I got on a scale when I got home from the hospital one day later, it was actually really nice to see that I had lost 11 pounds.  I was feeling good about my weight loss, and patting myself on the back, thinking it would be no problem getting back to my pre baby weight. Until those numbers coming off the scale slowed down. Significantly. As in, there's an extra 10 pounds on me still that does.not.want.to.move.  Granted, I haven't been back in the gym yet, and I like to keep telling myself most of that weight gain is in my boobs...

Which leads me to my next post-baby body change. Giant boobs.  My boobs definitely got a LOT bigger during pregnancy, which I didn't mind as much because they sort of matched my giant belly.  My sister kept warning me, though, that once the milk came in a few days after the birth, they would no longer just be big. They would be scary-big. She wasn't kidding.  Some girls might be ok, even happy having bigger boobs. Not this girl. I went from a C cup to a DD. That's right. Once my size D bra stopped fitting somewhere around 8 months, I started to freak out. WHAT COMES AFTER D? Moving up to DD was definitely not a happy day. And now, post-baby, the huge boobs and the DD nursing bra remain. Everything I wear is borderline obscene. I can barely wear any of my old v-necks, let alone a bathing suit.  And to think, I was so excited to be able to sleep on my stomach after the pregnancy. It feels like they're choking me.  Not to mention that they also leak now...

Leading me to breastfeeding. Breastfeeding has DEFINITELY been surprising.  I remember heading to one of our doctor appointments later in my pregnancy and telling Kemi I was sort of nervous about breastfeeding.  I wasn't concerned that it wouldn't work right, or I wouldn't be able to do it, it just seemed weird to me.  Especially the first time you try it.  I kept telling him "think about it! I'm going to take our new daughter who we've just met and stick my nipple in her face! That's weird!" The biggest surprise was how not-weird it was. It was, and is, the most natural and intuitive part of motherhood for me.  Knowing that breastfeeding isn't this easy, or even possible, for some moms makes me so thankful that I'm having so much success with it.  Those moments with Evie are so special to me, and knowing that I can fulfill her most basic needs with my own body is an incredible thing.  I love breastfeeding so much, and it's become so natural to me, that I've actually become a lot more open about it than I thought I would.  I don't mind feeding Evie under a cover when we're out anywhere, and recently I actually conducted a job interview while feeding her! Haha! For me, when she starts crying and wants to eat, all I'm thinking about is meeting her needs, not worrying about the comfort level of everyone around me.  I figure nothing I do is going to be near as controversial as the TIME cover, anyway.


2 comments:

  1. love love love love! perfectly spot on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a natural at breastfeeding. So much more so than I ever was! The sacrifices we make for our babies can be emotionally and physically draining, but so worth it when you know that you are doing what is best for her!

    ReplyDelete