Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Let's Be Honest. Part 2.

Well, I told you I'd keep you updated on Project Bringin' Sexy Back 2013.  I won't typically write about exercise here (because, let's face it, it's not an interest of mine) but I DID say I'd update you, so here goes.

I like food. Actually, I like GOOD food. I love wine. I love chocolate. I love cheese and bread. I'm not really the fast food or processed food type; that has just never been an issue for me. I've never had a soda habit either. But I do like food, and I don't like diets that tell me I can't eat a certain food. Because I generally eat "real food" I don't think restrictive diets are for me.  I really try to keep everything in moderation, but I'm finding I need better discipline now that I have a post-baby body and I'm not 21 anymore.

Interestingly, my youngest brother Caleb has gotten REALLY into juicing lately. In fact, he's doing a two week juice diet, and only eating fresh fruit and vegetable juices. I don't think his primary interest was weight loss, but he has actually lost 10 pounds.  I talked to him a lot about my goals and my desire to get back into shape, and he encouraged me to try the juice fast, but ultimately I decided against it.  I have some concerns about fasting, but what it came down to was thinking back to when I was in my best shape.  Before our wedding, Kemi and I were working out 5-6 times per week.  I want to be able to have coffee still, have a glass of wine or cheese or chocolate here and there and not be restricted.  What WAS working for me at that time was running up to 3 miles a day, and doing a lot of weight training.  My other reason for deciding against a juice fast is because I primarily want to lose this weight not just for me, but to be at my healthiest for when/if we conceive again.  A juice fast may help me lose weight initially, but I fear that it will mostly be "water weight" and I am trying to make a long term change that I can maintain for as long as possible throughout a future pregnancy. Working on increasing my physical fitness through gaining muscle and doing aerobic exercise will likely be a more lasting change. SO!

The first step for me was to identify my weak points.  I generally have a healthy diet, like I said, but I have two areas I fail: first, when people bring treats to work. If there's a dozen donuts or brownies in the break room, I will always have one. Or two or three.  My other issue is snacking after dinner. I often will have a cookie or a glass of wine after I put Evie down to sleep. I don't think there's anything wrong with that in and of itself, but for me trying to lose a few extra pounds, I know I need to cut out the empty calories. So those were the first things to go.  Let's call that step Bringin' Sexy Back 1.0.

The second thing I started to implement (Bringin' Sexy Back 1.1) was to begin a little exercise. It's been almost impossible for me to workout with Kemi gone, so I try to do something after I put Evie to bed.  What I found I realllly like is this Barre 3 workout. Have you guys heard of it? It combines yoga, pilates and dance, and is really centered around women and moms. They unfortunately don't have a studio in AZ, but they do offer videos on their website. I've been doing this free one on youtube and really like it!



So far, I have lost five pounds with just these two small changes. I'm hoping to keep this ball rolling.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Yours is the first post about health, diet and exercise I feel I can relate to. Thanks for sharing that Barre has a video! I've been drawn to them, but found no studio in MI either. I will definitely have to check out the video!

    Will Kemi be traveling to Rio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rakhi,

    Thank you, that's good to hear! I was reluctant to write about diet and exercise because it is so personal. The other nice thing Barre3 has is an online membership...for $15/month they have a bajillion different videos. I've been debating doing that too.

    So far, I don't think Matt is planning to bring a band to Rio, so probably not :(

    ReplyDelete