Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Kitchen Remodel

A few months ago, we basically totally lucked out in being able to remodel our kitchen. We had intended to do some very basic upgrades for if/when we're ready to sell it-just painting the cabinets and changing out the hardware. I bought the house in 2007 when I was single, and decided to paint the (very outdated 70's) cabinets purple and do small glass knobs.




Once Kemi and I got married and he moved in, the purple kitchen wasn't necessarily his favorite thing (!!!). Not only that, once we began to passively think about selling the house, we knew we'd have to do something more neutral in the kitchen.  Not only that, but the cabinets weren't functioning well. At all. We had several drawers that were broken, and a few cabinets that didn't close anymore!  We definitely needed to do something, but hadn't really budgeted for a remodel.  So thus began the decision to somehow refinish/paint the cabinet doors, change out the hardware, and possibly possibly upgrade a few of the appliances.

To make a long story short, because of the kindness and generosity of a friend who owns a granite company, we were able to get all new cabinets and new granite countertops for basically the same price we'd have spent just doing a few updates.  Luckily, Kemi and I had "pinned" about a million pictures of our dream kitchens, because the whole thing completely fell in our lap! The next day, we had to make decisions about EVERYTHING...cabinets, granite, hardware...it was a whirlwind, but so worth it.

I still can't believe how lucky we were to receive it. For weeks after the installation was complete, Kemi and I would wake up, roll over, and say "Do you think the kitchen's still there?" "Was it just a dream?" "Let's go see!" Haha!  Here are some pictures of the "demo" phase:





Here's what the installation process was like:





Sure, it was difficult to have the kitchen torn up for a few days, but I wasn't complaining! We were SO lucky to be able to remodel our kitchen.  It was an amazing blessing, and we appreciate it everyday. And, if you're in the market for a new kitchen yourself, I'd highly recommend giving Desert Mountain Countertops a call, and tell them I referred you! They did a phenomenal job and I know you'll be thrilled with the work they do.

Kemi and I are in the process of finishing tiling the backsplash, and once we do, I'll post pictures of the (finally!) completed kitchen!

7 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see the full after shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Kemi handed over the reigns for "styling" the kitchen with cute accessories to me, and I've got an Anthropologie gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so you know what that means!

      Delete
  2. oh wow!!! that looks amazing!! can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cabinets look beautiful! I wouldn't want to sell the house anymore... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I kind of go back and forth! Our neighborhood has gotten a bit ghetto, but I love my kitchen now!

      Delete
  4. oh i love it!! i love how the new cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.
    it looks so good. i wanna do that to my kitchen so bad!

    ReplyDelete