Thursday, September 5, 2013

If I could Could Cloth Diaper All Over Again...

I thought it would be fun to link up with Padded Tush Stats to write about what I'd choose if I were cloth diapering for the first time, all over again.

Honestly, over all, I'm pretty happy with my stash. I bought a little of everything before Evie was born, and ended up selling the brands I wasn't thrilled with.  So what don't I like? Oh, I'll tell you...

GroVia. I don't know why, they just don't work for Evie's chubbbbbby legs! The elastic is really stiff to me, and it seems to grab and pinch her legs and leave red marks. Luckily, GroVia is a really well-loved brand, so I was able to sell those on Craigslist for 75% of what I bought them for.  Don't worry-I'll give the GroVia brand a second chance! I am really anxious to try the new GroVia cover. The elastic on the covers doesn't look as stiff as on the AIO's.  So I will be giving the brand another shot, especially since they have such cute colors and are organic.

Before Evie was born and I was anxious to build my stash, I also made the mistake of buying some "no-name" brands on daily deal sites that were very cheap...and I soon figured out why! They didn't fit great and just weren't the same quality. I didn't love them, and again, I was able sell them on Craigslist and recoup some of what I paid.

We also have in our stash currently Kawaii Baby, Rumparooz, Blueberry, and Itti Bitti.  I use those, but again, they're not my favorite favorite.

So...the diaper I pull from the drawer first? The diaper I leave for babysitters and Grandmas? The diaper Kemi loves best? Drumroll please....

Bumgenius 4.0.  I have yet to try the Freetime (that will probably be my next purchase) but there are SO many things to love about the Bumgenius pockets.  I find them to be trim, they fit Evie perfectly, and I actually like pockets because I like that I can control the absorbency.  I have used the Bumgenius 4.0's since Evie was two months old, and they are still looking great at 17 months old.  There was a stage when Evie became an EXTREMELY heavy wetter, and I liked that I could still use the 4.0's, I just added a Hemp Babies soaker.  For my money, pockets are best because the absorbency is "customizable" to meet your child's needs, and you can't beat the flexibility of one size diapers.  Bumgenius has great colors (I'm not a big lover of patterns) and they have great resale value.  In fact, Bumgenius is consistently the best selling cloth diaper.

My babysitter "stash"


For the most part I keep lots of Bumgenius 4.0's in our stash, and I save them for my husband and babysitter.  In the evening and on the weekend when I'm changing Evie, and for her first diaper of the morning that I change her into, I put a fitted or a prefold on her.  Anything with two parts seems to really confuse Kemi and babysitters, so I save those for myself.  Plus, I really like to use my wool soakers!

So for my dream stash if I could do it all over again, it would probably look a lot like it does now. Lots of Bumgenius 4.0's, with a smattering of fitteds and prefolds, Thirsties covers, and Loveybums wool covers.  That's what works for me, so that's what we've got! That doesn't keep me from wanting to add to my stash though...!


No comments:

Post a Comment