Monday, September 2, 2013

Keepin' It Real Mondays

My brother in law, Ike is staying with us this week and he and Kemi decided for Labor Day they wanted burgers.  Being the super domestic wife I am (!?) I obliged and went to TJ's for all the necessary ingredients...beef, buns, cheese, watermelon, salad stuff, I even got mushrooms to sauté and avocados.

Fast forward to dinner time. The meal is cooked, everything is laid out buffet-style on the island, and I made Evie her mini plate with cut up cheeseburger, sauteed mushrooms, avocado pieces and watermelon chunks. Everything she has eaten before. Everything she loves. Everything is free range, grass fed, organic, blah blah blah.  We practically knew the cow's name and had his birth certificate. Only the best for that girl. And what does she do? Throws a GINORMOUS fit, refusing to eat, because she wants a bun. She wants a hamburger bun. She's got a smorgasbord of delicious food her mama made her with love and she wants a piece of bread.  I just knew if she ate the bun though, she would definitely not be willing to eat anything "real" after that. So I told her she could have the bun after she ate from her plate. It didn't work.  She spent the entire meal screaming her face off, obliging to put a bite of food in her mouth, only to stare me in the eye as she chews it and spits it back onto her tray. I could've screamed. But I didn't. I also didn't back down about the bun and for the first night ever we had a stand off and she went to bed without dinner (I gave her her warm milk before bed like I always do).  Unreal.  Do you all have toddlers with attitudes yet?

All attitude, all the time

6 comments:

  1. Seriously...love every face she makes! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, Kellie! She's such a stinker ;)

      Delete
  2. When Emma started eating solid food, she seemed to be open to anything and everything. Loving avocados, cheese, steak, chicken, and basically any food we ate for dinner. Over the last 4 or 5 months (she's 19 months now), she has started to become increasingly picky. She is so specific that she will at times only allow one type of food on her tray and will push off other foods if it isn't the one food she is eating. She will love blackberries and strawberries one day, and we'll stalk up on them, and then she never wants them again.

    It is incredibly aggravating after prepping food specifically for her and then have her spit it out immediately. We've learned to practice balancing behavioral modification (not allowing her to control everything and making sure she knows we're in charge) with letting her eat and be full. She loves carbs and will often like to eat only bread or potatoes instead of fruit or veggies. As her full time parent, I try not to give her a monotonous diet, of the three things she will eat every day a)cheese b)peanut butter and honey sandwiches c) TJ nitrate-free beef hot dogs.

    If you guys find any tips to reduce her pickiness, let me know! You are not alone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Seth. Evie has her couple things she eats every day, and will always eat...cheese and frozen blueberries! Everything else is a gamble lately! One day she loves it, the next she won't touch it. This is a first for us, because she's always been reaaallllly easy! I think I'll just keep re-presenting the things she refuses on another day, and hopefully she'll come back to them.

      Delete
  3. It is nice to know this is a common behavior. My 18 month old daughter has just started doing some of these things too. I feel equally frustrated when I prepare something for her and she won't even try it (and she has eaten and loved it in the not so distant past). I do continue to offer the foods she has eaten to her and she often will decide she likes them again. I guess it is just a part of the littles wanting to show some independence! After all, it is one thing they can control...we can't make them chew it up and swallow! I'm with you on letting them go to bed without eating if that is what the choose to do...don't worry, she always eats part of the meal so she isn't starving and she often makes up for it at breakfast the next day if she decided not to eat much for dinner the night before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Karianne...she's definitely going through a very "independent" phase right now! But it is definitely frustrating to put planning and energy into making a nutritious meal, only to have it get spit out! But she scarfed her eggs this morning, so I guess she'll just eat what's in front of her when she gets hungry enough!

      Delete