Monday, September 16, 2013

Keepin' It Real Mondays



I've been thinking a lot lately about time. How little everyone has, how easy it is to fill up, and how I Can get more of it. I was reading this post recently, and it got me thinking about how it's just as important to know what you don't spend your time on, as it is to know your priorities for your time. By saying "no" to blowdrying my hair in the morning, I say yes to laying in bed for five minutes with Evie while she drinks her milk.  Life is a series of choices, this I know.  We all have the same 24 hours in a day. It's what we choose to do with it.  So since the theme of this season of my life seems to be complete and utter chaos, I'm trying to change what I can and hope that somehow that might make a tiny dent in the madness.

So I thought I'd fill you in on a few things that I don't do.



What I don't Do:

I don't care at all about my car. Not the make or model, not the year, not if it is covered in bird poop. Don't care.  It has to start every time (my previous ride was a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am) and it has to get me from point A to point B and that is truly all I care about.

I don't do my hair.  I wish I could, but something has to go, and this is one of those things.

I don't read for fun. I used to. And I miss it. But again, it's something that had to go. I've got an 18 month old who wants to read "There's A Wocket in My Pocket" five times in a row and a husband who likes to hang out after she goes to bed. And that's way more important.

I don't get out much. I don't go out with friends really ever.  Sometimes I miss that, but I am blessed to have amazing coworkers who are also friends, so I get my friend fulfillment there.

I don't clean any more than I have to. I just have lower standards for what is "clean", and I'm okay with that. Given the choice between a dozen dustbunnies under my bed or having a pretend picnic with Evie, I'll choose the picnic a million times over. I take pride in our home and want it to be acceptable, but dusting the ceiling fans just isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

I don't sew. Or "craft." I used to paint, in another life, but that hasn't happened in years.  I'll get back to it someday, just not today. Or tomorrow.


What about you guys? What don't you do?



5 comments:

  1. My word, she is a beaut!!! Lucky momma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily Kate! I agree, but I may be a bit biased ;)

      Delete
  2. I have been struggling with the time issue also so much lately! It is nice knowing someone is struggling right along with you. Recently, along with your blog, I have been following the Minimalist Mom. I have been craving my time and energy back and knew things needed to get reprioritized. I also have been repeating to myself that you have to say No! I once read a book that said your vocation is first to your family, you must be very protective of this and your time and only say yes to things if you find you have extra time (even if they are seen as good things, like helping at church) only when this doesn't take away from the family is it okay.

    I fell trap to this helping out to much and now have to start letting things go. Things I do to help find more time is also not doing my hair, minimal makeup if any routine, cooking very simple dinners, and adopting this "minimalistic" way of living. I am not an extremist like only owning 100 things, but getting rid of stuff that is not meaningful to me, or kid friendly, and not having two of hardly anything. The less stuff I have, the less I have to clean and take care of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally! I think it's good to remember your primary vocation is to your family. I have always been too quick to say yes, and having good boundaries is definitely a skill to work on!

      We've tried to take a really minimalist approach as well, especially to Evie's toys and "stuff."

      Delete
  3. oh, I forgot a big one. Just yesterday I deleted my Facebook account! To much time wasted on that thing! It was very hard to do, maybe one day I will rejoin the Facebook world...however I do still have an open account, so I can follow all my page feeds, like Diocese of Phoenix and your blog. ;)ha

    ReplyDelete