Saturday, October 26, 2013

Know-It-All



A few weeks ago, I was talking to my daughter's pediatrician about my thoughts on vaccines, and why I've made the decisions I have. I found myself struggling to explain the research I had read that led to those decisions.  I felt like I wasn't prepared to defend myself.  I kept wanting to shout "I have degrees too! I can read medical journals too!"

Now don't get me wrong-I'm not stupid. I know I'm not a medical doctor. But I'm the one ultimately responsible for Evie's care, so I take the decisions pretty seriously. I'm the one that has to live with the consequences.

I am the type of person that has to know everything there is to know about a subject before making a decision. When I became a mom, this trait became magnified exponentially.  Something as simple as choosing a sippy cup had me weighing every option for hours (Glass? Stainless steel? BPA-free plastic?) Forget choosing a car seat. Cut to me full-on reading consumer reports, customer reviews, and grilling the 17-year old employee at Buy Buy Baby for an hour.  It's insane. 

Do any of you ever feel as though you have to be an expert on everything? The vaccination debate! How much television is too much?! Fluoride-toothpaste or non-fluoride? Homeschooling or traditional school? How high should a fever be allowed to go? At what point do you give Ibuprofen? OR AT ALL!? 

It's daunting. I often feel like I have to be a medical doctor, Nutritionist, Educator, Dermatologist, Scientist, and child development expert all at the same time.  I guess it's just the pressure of it, you know? I don't believe anyone can make a better decision for my child than I can, and really, it's no one's responsibility as much as it is mine.  I'm just not the type to blindly trust our pediatrician, dentist, WebMD, whatever.  I trust them, but not as much as I trust myself. But I am not an expert. So I have to become one. On every subject. It's exhausting! Am I the only one who feels this way?!

4 comments:

  1. I have read your blog for awhile now. This is exactly why I try not to do too much research on anything :) I know that might be a bit backward, but honestly, it is way too stressful to try to keep up with all studies (most contradicting), expert recommendations, and fad books telling me how to do the parent thing. Instead, I rely on the guidance of moms around me who have good, healthy, kind, and well behaved kids. I find that's the best way to move through life. With the exception of a few funny pregnancy books, I haven't read any books on the practicality of parenting (the spirituality of parenting I do, because it's helpful to me). I think it's the best way to go through life :) Throw the research away!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! Maybe some day I can be as relaxed as you!

      Delete
  2. Expert? No. Informed? Yes. One medical journal can contradict the next.

    ReplyDelete