Tuesday, November 26, 2013

You're A Good Mama, Part 2!


My post from a few days ago has really stuck with me. Recently, during a meeting with one of my students parents, I put into practice my own challenge.  This particular mom was really struggling. Her son had been going through some really tough stuff at school, and I knew she had some pretty heavy obstacles in her personal life as well. Toward the end of an almost two hour meeting with myself, and the five other instructors from her son's class, I could tell she was just so heavy hearted. I stopped the meeting and told her "Listen. You are such a good mama. He is so lucky to have you. Every kid should be so lucky to have a mom who loves them the way you love him." And you know what? She didn't mumble or look at her shoes. She didn't think I was weird. She burst into tears. I could tell it was just so raw for her, you know? Like, in that moment, she really didn't believe it. Us mamas never think we're doing enough. We go through our days, beating ourselves up. Replaying in our heads all the days failings. We never stop to appreciate that we're doing ok. Because you know what? You're the only one who can be your little one's mama.  No one else can do it.  And you're pretty great at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment