Tuesday, January 14, 2014

11 Months, and a Conversion Story

Yesterday marked eleven months since Celeste went to Heaven. I haven't had a chance to sit down and write until now, but she's on my mind, as always.

A coworker of mine is becoming Catholic. She's going through the RCIA process at our church, and asked me to be her sponsor. I try to make it to as many of the RCIA meetings as I can, and oftentimes afterward, we'll go for coffee to talk about the night, how she's doing, etc. She has had a long history of faith used to control, tear down, and abuse others.  She has been deeply hurt by the misuse of religion, and through God's grace, her heart has found a home in the Catholic church.

The first night we got together, I started asking her how she started the process of becoming interested in the church.  She smiled and told me it was simple...it was Celeste's funeral.
And that hit me like a ton of bricks. What? Celeste's funeral?
She explained that up until then, even entering a church made her feel anxious and upset, because of her history.  During Celeste's funeral, she told me she had a feeling of peace and belonging come over her, and it was then that she became interested in attending mass weekly, and decided to begin the inquiry process into the church. Wow.
In eleven months, my teeny tiny, 1 pound, 1 ounce, 22-week old baby girl has not ceased to amaze me.
It brings me a bit of peace and joy when I hear of how other's lives have been affected somehow by Celeste's life. God used her short life, and continues to use it for His glory. Always leading us back to Himself. Thank you Lord, for your love for us.

We miss you, Celeste. We miss you everyday.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I know your coworker isn't the only one. Watching you and Kemi hold strong to your faith in the face of such heartbreak and loss affected me, and continues to affect me, deeply. As I know it affects others. I've learned so much from you this year, and you and your sweet Celeste started me on a journey to becoming closer to Christ than I ever have been before. Praying for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh shucks. Thanks, AK! That's more than I could even hope for. I don't know how God can turn my heartache into such beautiful things, but He can! Thank God for that.

    ReplyDelete