Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cooking is the Absolute Worst, and Other Complaints

It's no secret that cooking is not on the short list of things I'm good at. I'm a terrible, terrible, terrible cook. Nothing fills me with more anxiety and worry than the thought of having another couple over for dinner. I am pretty confident that Kemi has built up some sort of iron clad stomach and, God bless him, has never said he doesn't love something I've cooked. He's a great liar.

Despite my lack of cooking skills, I put a LOT of pressure on myself to make a home cooked dinner every night. And I mean every night. I don't know where this came from...maybe because I didn't grow up in a family that ate out a lot. My mom made dinner every night. Ever since Kemi and I were married I have sent myself into a complete fit most weekends trying to think of unique and healthy home cooked meals for the week. Oh, and did I mention that Kemi can't eat gluten or dairy, and we suspect Evie can't either? So that doesn't help with my creativity in the kitchen.

So, my sister, who is a great cook, and very health conscious, told me she made an amazing asian style lemon chicken with brown rice. Kemi's main food group is asian, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Here's what happened.

I raced to Trader Joe's on my lunch break to get lemons, honey, and $8.63 work of organic, free range, grass fed, pastured, whatever-the-hell chicken for this gourmet meal.
 
I worked later than normal (til 5) and realized at 5 that I needed corn starch for the sauce. Luckily, my work is next door to a grocery store, so I ran there to get corn starch. But when I say ran, I RAN. My other confession is I put weird amounts of pressure on myself to be with Evie every possible minute I can be. It's the working mom guilt.

We get home after five, and I start flying through the kitchen, trying to cook this dinner.  After an hour, we sit down to eat. It's after six, and I haven't played with Evie yet at all today. And she goes to bed at 7:30.  So I'm feeling like basically the worst mom of all time. And the meal? It's awful. So awful. Just inedible. And I may have cried a little. I don't know what's wrong with me!


k


Any other moms feel this way? I don't know what's wrong with me...am I just overly emotional, or should I take these feelings more seriously? There are days that I really don't know what I'm doing. I feel like I'm a ball of stress, just spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere. Something's gotta give.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Corinna! I found your blog through Anna Kate!

    I feel your pain! Have you ever looked into the Fresh 20 plan (thefresh20.com)? It has a gluten free option to choose from and does all the work for you- a shopping list, meals for the week, and easy recipes (with lists of prep work for the night before). My little family has loved every meal we have tried!

    Good luck to you! And you are doing great, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I just looked it up and it looks awesome! I think the $54 is definitely worth my sanity...Thanks so much for the encouragement!!!

      Delete
  2. I don't have a husband or kids, but I, too am not confident in the kitchen and put pressure on myself to eat a home cooked and healthy meal every day. I have learned that I will burn something, I will under cook noodles and I will end up frustrated that it didn't taste the way I think it should or the way my mom makes it. But I hope one day, I find a man who loves me as much as your husband does. Everyone has those days and I don't think you're being overly emotional. I would reevaluate what's important to you in life and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate the kind words. I know how lucky I am, and one bad night is just one bad night in the grand scheme of things, right?

      Delete
  3. Praying that something does give for you really soon! MMMMMWAH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU ARE A GOOD MAMA. The balancing act between working and home is tough! I have created several go to meals that take 30 minutes or less from the time I hit the kitchen, most are gluten free... anybody want to do a recipe exchange of sorts? My keys to success: do not attempt to reinvent the wheel every meal. Have about 10 regular recipes for dinners, and repeat them every two weeks shifting veggies depending on what is in season or on sale. Give yourself at least one night off from cooking a week. We do Fridays, whether it is carryout, deli, something nicer. Cook for occasional leftovers. I bake a whole chicken every other Sunday, which provides enough leftovers for chicken fajitas on Monday. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking a whole chicken is actually the one thing I'm really good at-weird, right? But that's good advice to do it on Sunday and use the leftovers for dinners! I am definitely trying to give us a night off from cooking once a week, even if it's a crock pot soup or something.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about wanting to cook from scratch. Definitely learned that from Mom and Dad. I also know what you mean about spinning your wheels and getting nowhere. And I'm not a great cook! I fake it to make it ;)

    ReplyDelete