Monday, April 7, 2014

One Thousand Gifts

"They say time is money, but that's not true. Time is life. And if I want the fullest life, I need to find fullest time." ~Ann Voskamp

"What was the pastor's most profound regret in life? Being in a hurry."~Ann Voskamp


I've been reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (I mentioned it here).

To say that the words in that little book are striking a cord for me would be an understatement. The funny thing is, my sister is reading it right now too, and she says the same thing. Everyone I know who has read One Thousand Gifts says it feels as though it was written just for them.  What a wonderful thing! There is so much wisdom in the words, and I love that it speaks right to every heart it touches.

This morning I woke up at 5 am and couldn't fall back to sleep.  Finally I came out on the couch, made a cup of tea and sat down with my book. It has been so good for my soul.

If you haven't read it, I really recommend it, especially if your spirit has been needing…something.  Like mine.

In the book, the author, in her quest to discover the secret to unending joy decides to keep a running list of "one thousand gifts." As sort of a challenge, she begins to write the big and small ways God gifts her in her day to day life.

22. Mail in the mailbox
2. Jam piled high on the toast
16. Leafy life scent of the floral shop
119. Still warm cookies
783. Forgiveness of a sister

Those are a few from the author's list. I smile reading this book, especially reading a few of the items from her list. I've started writing my own list, a daily exercise in counting the blessings in my own life.  Because it's meant so much to me to read a few off Ann's list, I thought I'd start sharing a few from my list here.

1. Toddler kisses
2. Baby kicks in my belly
3. A conversation with a friend and a glass of wine
4. Warm banana bread
5. Husband's warm feet under the covers
6. coffee shops
7. Warm bed after a long day

What do you think? It's good for your heart, right? Share some of yours with me!

2 comments:

  1. What a timely post Corinna - I was just writing about this book too! It is so ripe with lessons for us. I am about 1/2 way through… Find myself thinking about her lessons as I go about my daily life! The thankfulness almost becomes a mantra to help me not loose my temper when I get upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for reading! I couldn't agree more! I keep bringing it with me everywhere I go hoping to steal a few minutes to read. I think if I can internalize everything I'm reading from that book I'd be a MUCH better person! :)

      Delete